-->

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Act 3; Scene 54: My Friend

To start this post off, I have to say that Robert and I may have over planted our garden. 

Especially where lettuce is concerned.

We have had lettuce coming out of our eyeballs for about two months now; and I just can't keep up with it! Recently I've taken to filling a gallon zip lock bag with freshly cut lettuce and delivering them to some of our neighbors.

The other day, I took a bag over to a sister I visit teach. She has three kids and, similar to my sis-in-law Angie, always has so many fun activities that she is doing with the kiddos. She is full of fun and energy and...well, more experienced than I am. I guess you could say I look up to her.

When I came to give her the lettuce, she was on the phone. She gave the appropriate, "Hang on just a second" to the person on the other line. I handed over the lettuce and said a quick hi and bye since she was occupied. On my way down the porch steps and on her way back into the house (dragging her 18 month old in with her) she continued her phone conversation. She said, "Yeah, my friend brought some lettuce from her garden." Then she shut the door.

As I pushed the stroller down the sidewalk, I felt all happy and excited and flattered inside. She had just called me her friend to someone else. Not just, "a lady in the ward," or "my visiting teacher." Granted, she may have just been trying to think of a way to describe me to this other person and that was the first word that came to mind--it wasn't a big deal. It was just an off-hand descriptor. But! I was surprised about how much that particular phrasing, my friend, affected me. I didn't know she considered me a friend. I felt included. I felt "cool." I felt like I meant something. I felt valued. 

Since this experience, I have been thinking about the times in the scriptures when the Lord calls one of the prophets His friend. Suddenly that has a lot more meaning to me. That term isn't an ordinary term, it is really special. It's about an intimacy and kinship. It's about more than an acquaintance, more than even a good acquaintance. It's about love and respect. It's about sharing burdens. It's about long conversations. It's about having fun.

Wouldn't it be awesome to be called friend by the Savior of us all? 

I definitely want to build my friendship with Him. 

Happy Sunday, all.
 


2 comments:

  1. Carson, I love this! I've totally been thinking about this concept lately. Thanks for writing it out...you wrote it so perfectly! I'm glad you're my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's even better when you hear someone call you a "best friend".

    Where's my bag of lettuce?!? Kidding! I have lots. It is getting tough and bitter with the heat though. I miss spring!

    ReplyDelete