-->

Friday, August 7, 2015

Meatless Meals #5: Veggie Pizza

Home made pizza is one of our very favorites at our house. 

And with all this fresh garden produce, veggie pizza was a no-brainer.

First of all, I made the pizza crust.


My recipe for this delicious crust is at the bottom.

Since my tomatoes are coming in, I decided to try some home made marinara sauce. 

I heard that if you roast some garlic, tomatoes, and onions and put them in the blender then you have an amazing mariana, so I tried it.

I roasted my zucchini at the same time. Don't worry there were more tomatoes I just forgot to take a pic at first!

It tasted ok, but it needed a little something extra to add some flavor and some density. So I added some salt, some basil, and one can of tomato paste to the blender.





Soon it was time to shape the pizzas! 

Here's my little helper brushing some olive oil on the crusts. Then sprinkle some garlic salt on top of that before you start "decorating" your pizza.


Then we added our marinara. After marinara I put spinach. I always put the spinach on before the cheese, because I have a few picky eaters who tend not to eat spinach if they see it...but if it's hidden under the cheese, they eat it all up!

After cheese we added roasted zucchini, banana peppers, and fresh tomatoes.




Looking good!




And here's Tommy enjoying the pizza!




Yum, yum!

These pizzas are enough for a whole meal. I had one corn on the cob leftover from the other day, so I cut it off the cob, added some salt and butter, and served it as a side. I could have added it as a pizza topper, I guess!

We're still enjoying our summer meatless meals!

The Best Pizza Crust (Makes 6 individual pizzas)

1 ¼ cup warm water

2 Tbsp yeast ( I like SAF yeast)

1 Tbsp honey

3 Tbsp olive oil

4 cups all purpose flour

2 tsp kosher salt.

Add the water and yeast to a mixer, give it a few twirls, then let sit till you see

bubbles. Add honey and olive oil. Then add 3 cups of flour. Turn the mixer on low,

and add the salt. Then slowly add the last cup of flour until the dough starts coming

off of the sides. You may not need the whole cup of flour—you don’t want it to be

too tough. Keep kneading on a low setting, and knead for 10 minutes. Then turn off,

cover the dough, and let sit for 45-60 minutes. After it has raised, divide it up into 6

pieces of dough, spread those out, and add your favorite toppings. (I like to brush it

will olive oil and sprinkle some garlic salt before adding sauce.) Cook in oven at 500

for 12-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment