-->

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Meatless Meals #6: Roasted Butternut Squash

Maybe I should rename these posts to "what can I make with my fresh garden produce?" But what better way to go meatless than with yummy garden-fresh produce?

Today's feature: our overflowing butternut squash plant.

Oh yes, and I have to include a picture of today's little helper :-)


I was mostly intrigued by this recipe because of the way it was cooked--upside down in a roasting pan water bath. Huh. 

First of all you generously drizzle olive oil, and shake some salt and pepper on there. 



Then you put them upside down in the roasting pan, and pour about 1/4 cup or a bit more of water into the pan. This helps it caramelize. 


Then stick it in the oven on 400 for about 30-45 minutes. Keep checking and add more water if it's all gone fast. 

Remember the veggie pizza I made? Well I had some left-over dough that I saved, and decided to make some bread sticks with it. I thought this picture was funny because it looks like lungs....bread stick lungs.... 


The squash done...excited to see how they turned out!

And the bread sticks done! I tried the braiding thing, and then got lazy, haha! They are just brushed with melted butter (you could do olive oil) and sprinkled with garlic salt.
 

I put together a quick salad and there you have it! And holy cow, one half of a squash is A LOT. Robert and I ended up splitting one of the halves for dinner, and that was plenty! Very sweet and wonderful texture. Robert added brown sugar which was a nice, sweet touch.
 

And there you have it! Happy Eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment