-->

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Act 3; Scene 3: A Parisian Experiment

I love getting Bountiful Baskets because it's always a surprise--you never know what kinds of fruits and vegetables you will be surprised with, only that you'll get a lot of them.

This has led to some interesting cooking experiments, some more successful than others (cauliflower soup=success; fried eggplant=not a success). I really enjoy a reason to search out recipes and find new ideas for dinner that I probably wouldn't seek out on my own.

A few weeks ago, we received a plethora of onions in our Bountiful Basket. Onions are very handy, but we certainly didn't know what to do with 6 yellow onions.

So I decided that I would try to make French onion soup. 

What an adventure! 

I started out by skilleting/caramelizing a BUNCH of onions (and let me tell you, the cutting up of these onions was a tragedy for my eyes--the tears ran down my cheeks)
 Then I added all of the other stuff--beef broth, white vinegar, thyme, bay leaf (and realized that I needed an actual pot...)
 While that simmered, I put a baguette in the oven and grated some Swiss cheese. I wanted to add some Parmesan, but forgot to pick up the "real" kind so we used the "fake" powder kind :-)
 Then I packed the cheese onto the sliced baguette pieces (talk about a workout to slice a baguette!)
 Yummy toasted cheesy baguette!
 Then we dished up and put the toasted bread on top
 Bon Appetit!


Our conclusion: that toasted, cheesy French bread sure tastes good dipped in the onion-flavored broth!

And while I like onions, I don't think I like onions THIS much.

I never would have attempted French onions soup without the Bountiful Basket, and it was an awesome adventure! But I don't think I'll be making this soup again any time soon.

However, I will definitely be toasting cheese on baguettes very frequently :-)

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment